This project started innocently enough. I wanted to see if it was possible to create a skull chair that was satisfying to look at. I don't know why I became obsessed with it but I noticed that there were two types of skull chairs out there. One type had a skull on the back rest of the chair so when you sat in it you covered it up. The other had the face of the skull on the back of the chair so if you sat in it like a normal chair the skull was facing away from you and probably back against a wall. There were other variations but those were the main problems. So I started coming up with ideas.
The first step was to just do a ton of drawings of different options. I quickly noticed there weren't a ton of options and pretty soon I wanted to sit entirely in the skull. This lead me to a gamer style chair, low on the floor. After that it became a long game of designing it, figuring out how big it needed to be, making models and solving for x. Eventually I was able to get started. I decided to do many layers of 2x4's glued and screwed together. This was more approachable for me as I've worked in layers in other projects and I wanted to have a chunky fragmented look to the final piece.
The first few layers coming together. I'm trying to figure out how to get it done.
Here are the two middle sections. I had to get them put together first and lined up perfectly. Then complete each half from there. This way when I brought them together they would not be misaligned.
Clamping gluing and screwing
The jaw is held on by just a few bits. That hole you see is the armrest.
The first half completed
After the stop motion was captured the final layer had to be held down overnight with weight as it wasn't screwed on.
The final video with stop motion
And total excitement of a work completed after many years of effort.
Thanks for checking it out!